The Saint Joseph Academy athletic teams have wrapped up another great school year. Many teams and individuals set new records this season and represented what it means to be a student-athlete at Saint Joseph Academy.
This year 54% of students at Saint Joseph Academy participated in at least one sport with 166 students playing a sport in more than one season. Those athletes also excelled in the classroom as the GPA for student-athletes during the 2018-19 school year was 3.6!
Congratulations to our teams on an outstanding 2018-19 season and we look for even more success in 2019-20!
- District Runner-Up
- North Coast League (NCL) Gray Division Champions
- Senior Cecy Guye and Junior Izzy Micheli were named offensive and defensive MVP’s of the North Coast League (NCL) Gray Division
- Four players were named First-Team All-Conference (Cecy Guye ’19, Izzy Micheli ’20, Molly Neitzel ’19 and Logan Whitaker ’19), Two players were named Second-Team All-Conference (Molly Harrison ’21 and Sadie Joyce ’20) and four players received Honorable Mention All-Conference (Kirsten Barrett ’22, Lauren Gardner ’20, Megan Harrison ’20 and Katie Tuley ’19)
- Coach Kate Latkovic was named NCL “Coach of the Year”
- Three Jaguars earned all-district recognition this year as Cecy Guye ‘19 was named First-Team All-District while Molly Neitzel ‘19 was named Second-Team All-District. Izzy Micheli ‘20 earned Honorable-Mention All-District.
- Cecy Guye signed a National Letter of Intent to play collegiate volleyball at Loyola University Maryland
- Senior golfer, Libby Poole was the first golfer to advance to the OHSAA District Tournament since 2014
- Just missed advancing to Districts with their 5th place at the OHSAA Sectional Tournament
- Two golfers earned Second-Team All-Conference selections
- Kady Cushing ‘19 and Claire Shepherd ‘20 earned first-team all-conference honors while Elizabeth Rechin ‘19 and Sophia Pedone ‘20 second-team all-conference honors. Four additional players, Madison Wilson ‘19, Claire Horansky ‘19, Grace Klepek ‘19 and Ella Maher ‘22 received honorable mention all-conference honors.
- Kady Cushing and Sophia Pedone earned Second-Team All-District honors while Rechin, Shepherd and Maher were named honorable mention all-district by the district coaches.
- Two seniors will be continuing their soccer careers at the collegiate level next year
- Junior Annie Allen qualified for the State Meet where she finished 17th to earn All-Ohio Honors
- Team Regional Qualifiers
- NCL Champions
- Junior Annie Allen was named NCL MVP
- Junior Amanda Keim earned First-Team All-NCL honors while freshman Emma Hvizdos and Anna Duesenberg earned Second-Team All-Conference honors
- Coach Fred Kieser was named NCL Blue Division “Coach of the Year”
- NCL Tournament Runner-Up
- Division I District Tournament Qualifiers in doubles
- 4th Place finish at Division I Oberlin Sectionals
- Abby Weaver ‘19 finished her career with SJA records for all-time career victories (76) and single-season victories (26 in 2018), while Cassie Van Etten ‘19 won 69 matches including 25 in 2018.
- Saint Joseph Academy gymnastics was represented by a full team for the first time in school history this season
- Sofie Buckley ’19 qualified for the OHSAA District meet in two events (vault and floor)
- District Runner-Up
- Senior Molly Neitzel was named Northeast Lakes All-District Division 1 First-Team while sophomore Gabbie Schafer and freshman Ava Haddad received Honorable Mention All-District recognition. Neitzel becomes the first player in recent SJA basketball history to earn First-Team All-District recognition.
- Molly Neitzel was named North Coast League Blue Division Defensive Player of the Year and First-Team All-Conference. Also receiving first-team all-conference recognition were Gabbie Schafer and Ava Haddad while Charlotte Adler was named to the second-team.
- Molly Neitzel was selected as McDonald’s All-American Game Nominee
- Senior Molly Neitzel committed to University of Akron where she will further her basketball career
- Named Mr. A.J. Hyland as the new head basketball coach for the upcoming 2019-20 season
- 10 athletes qualified for the OATCCC Indoor Division I State Meet including three relays, shot out and weight throw, 200 & 400 meter dash, 1600 meter run, and the long jump
- 4×800 relay team finished 9th overall at the OATCCC State Meet, qualifying them for the national meet in Manhattan, New York
- The 4×800 team of Annie Allen, Anna Duesenberg, Grace Kelley and Amanda Keim placed 17th at Nationals
- 16 athletes qualified for the NEOITC All-Star Meet
Swimming & Diving
- Junior Maddy Kelly qualified for the state meet in two events (50 freestyle and 100 backstroke) and finished 7th overall in the Division 1 state meet in the 100 backstroke.
- SJA advanced 10 athletes to the district meet at Bowling Green. The Jaguars had three relay teams qualify for the district meet along with individuals in four events. SJA finished in 12th place overall, marking the best finish at districts in program history.
- Junior diver, Jenna Wasilko advanced to District Diving Meet
- Abby Fleming ‘19 will be continuing her swimming career at the collegiate level next year
- Senior Emily Kovacic advanced to the OHSAA District Tournament
- The Jaguars just missed qualifying for the OHSAA District Tournament as a team with their 4th place finish at sectionals
- District Runner-Up
- North Coast League Blue Division Champions
- Set a new school record for number of wins in a season (21)
- State-ranked in the Ohio Division 1 state coaches poll for most of the season – first time this has happened for SJA softball
- Maya Johnson was named to the All-Ohio Second-Team, All-District First-Team, NCL Pitcher of the Year, and All-County First-Team
- Other All-District Honors were awarded to Andrea Horrocks (Second-Team) and Molly Harrison and Frankie Milosovic (Honorable Mention)
- Four athletes named to NCL First-Team (Andrea Horrocks, Molly Harrison, Frankie Milosovic, and Hannah Nodge), three athletes were named to the NCL Second-Team (Megan Harrison, Ali Lane, and Sarah Harper), and two athletes received NCL Honorable Mention (Kylie Schmitz and Olivia Lopez)
- Coach Dale Dawson received NCL “Coach of the Year” and All-County “Coach of the Year”
- All-County accolades were earned by Andrea Horrocks (First Team), Molly Harrison (Third-Team), and Sarah Harper and Frankie Milosovic (Honorable Mention).
- North Coast League Champions
- Undefeated North Coast League Record (6-0)
- Most consecutive wins in a season (8)
- Four athletes earned NCL First-Team recognition (Ella Calleri, Emily Langel, Faith Maruna, and Grace Mattimore) while four others received Second-Team recognition (Allie Carson, Maddie Harden, Jane Sessions, and CeCe Boushelle) and two were Honorable Mentions (Kaitlin Vasil and Cara Starsinic)
- Head Coach, Laureen Antall earned NCL “Coach of the Year”
- Three players were recognized by the Ohio Schoolgirls Lacrosse Association (OSLCA) for First-Team and Second-Team All-State. Ella Calleria and Emily Langel were named to the First-Team while Faith Maruna received Honorable Mention from our region.
- Senior Ella Calleri was one of ten players from the North Coast region to be named an “Academic All-American”
Track & Field
- Two students (Emma Pesicka and Annie Allen) advanced to Division I State Track & Field Meet
- Emma Pesicka placed 8th in discus and 13th in the state for shot put earning her All-Ohio honors, while Annie Allen placed 11th overall in the 3200 meter run at the state meet
- District Runner-Up
- North Coast League Blue Division Champions for second consecutive season
- Annie Allen received the NCL title of “Most Valuable Runner”
- Six athletes were named to the NCL First-Team (Annie Allen, Emma Pesicka, Haley Morgan, Anna Duesenberg, Amanda Keim, and Maura Jordan), while three others were named to the NCL Second-Team (Maddie Maline, Timmia Crayton-Prioleau, and Grace Kelley)
- Head Coach, Steve Stahl was named NCL “Coach of the Year”
- Three athletes will be furthering their track & field careers in college: Timmia Crayton-Prioleau, Haley Morgan, and Emma Pesicka
- Sent five boats to compete at Nationals
- Finished 4th place at Midwest Scholastic Rowing Championships
- Won the Debbie Mitchell Women’s Regatta Champions Trophy for the third straight year at the St. Mary’s Laddie Cup
- Sarah Houser has committed to Rutgers University to further her academic and athletic career
- State Runner-Up
- Two athletes (Allexus Zielinski and Erin Ward) have committed to Denison University where they will further their academic and athletic (rugby) careers